Home LifestyleCulture Excursions from Exeter: Branscombe

Excursions from Exeter: Branscombe

This week’s excursion is a little bit further away, but really worth the effort if you’re after countryside views as well as a beach walk! The place I want to share with you guys is called Branscombe. You can easily spend a day here, as there is so much to do. Branscombe is on the South Coast of Devon and it’s between Seaton and Sidmouth running along the Jurassic Coastline so the views are pretty spectacular.

the views are pretty spectacular

The town is full of thatched cottages, and a few properties of the National Trust – The Forge and The Old Bakery. Built in the 1500’s, The Forge takes you back in time. You can see blacksmiths working using traditional methods and you can wonder around the showroom which has stood the test of time. Just across the road from The Forge lies The Old Bakery, where you can stop and have some tea and cake, but also look around the traditional little building – it contains the old bread oven and the proving troughs, so if you’re missing The Great British Bake Off, then this will be right up your street! From here, you can walk to The Manor Mill and walk past the one-thousand year old Church. If you keep walking down (paths are signed), you will be on a little walk down to the beach.

The countryside views are lovely here, and there’s a wide range of flowers and plants which make for some nice pictures. Once you reach the beach, you will see that it’s long and pebbly with great views; perfect for a Saturday morning or afternoon stroll. On the beach there are beach huts, a little shop which has cute seaside souvenirs and also a restaurant/café serving the traditional fish and chips (perfect for being by the sea) and also a range of coffees and cakes.

Another delight here is the pub The Fountain Head. With seats outside and inside, it is great for all weather. They have the classic selection of comforting pub food, and if you’re a fan of the Sunday Roast, they have it available here! Also, if you like beer and ales, then this place is a must, because all the ales are locally crafted so are authentic to Branscombe.

I couldn’t recommend this town more – it’s beautiful, and full of nature, wildlife and the seaside

Getting here by car is really easy, and only takes about 40 minutes and there are plenty of car parks. I parked next to The Old Forge, but it is worth noting that there is a sign outside that carpark which suggests two others (the village hall and the beach.) If you’re getting here by public transport, the best way would be to catch the number 9 bus from Exeter Coach and Bus Station, and then change at Exeter Cross in Sidmouth to the number 899 bus (The Axe-Vale Mini-travel bus) which takes you to the Village Hall in Branscombe. This journey is around an hour, so it’s not much more than going by car (just remember that the buses may not be running on Sunday, so look into this online before). I couldn’t recommend this town more – it’s beautiful, and full of nature, wildlife and the seaside – so really, what more do you want?