Home News Jacob Rees-Mogg Speaks at Exeter University

Jacob Rees-Mogg Speaks at Exeter University

Photo Credit: Bryan Knight

On Friday 20th September, the Exeter University Conservative Association hosted the Leader of the House of Commons Rt Hon Jacob Rees-Mogg. The hour-long event, open only to staff and students, touched on issues ranging from Party principles to immigration and, unavoidably, Brexit.

Queues for the event stretched right across the Peter Chalk building, with students eagerly waiting to hear from the controversial, yet politically relevant speaker. Despite being held up in traffic prior to the event, Rees-Mogg was applauded by most of the event’s attendees. He opened up his speech by making a light reference to the backlash he received after being photographed slouching in the House of Commons in recent weeks. The speech was largely a rallying call to Conservatives student whom he deemed “the future of the Conservative Party”.

you will spend your money better than the state can spend it for you

Jacob Rees-Mogg

The first half of his speech saw Rees-Mogg describe an occasion where he got “ticked off” after he heard someone use the term ‘government money’. Rees-Mogg went on to argue that “There is no such thing as government money, there is taxpayer money. And it is your money which we must take as little of as is needed to ensure the state can meet its obligations”. He continued to stress how the Conservatives are the “low tax party” before concluding with the age-old party mantra that “you will spend your money better than the state can spend it for you”.

Rees-Mogg lauded the achievement of the coalition government in its approach to Universal Credit

Rees-Mogg lauded the achievement of the coalition government in its approach to Universal Credit. He explained: “I think one of the most important things that has been done by the coalition government and now the Conservative government is Universal credit. Why? Because Universal credit focusses on the individual’s circumstances and what the individual needs, [and] not by assuming that there are a group of people on benefits that will always be on benefits”

Jacob Rees-Mogg (Photo Credit: Chris McAndrew)

The Leader of the House emphasised his core belief in personal freedom of choice. However he flagged that his beliefs were not applicable to all political discussions. He spoke of “occasions when your principles crash into the barrier of practicality. At that point we have to recognise that there is no simple answer to everything. It is a guiding light, it is a pointer but it is not the law of Mosses given on tablets of stone.” He used two examples to show the limits of his philosophy: gambling and drug legalisation.

the damage that would be done by legalising [drugs] outweighs the benefit of giving people freedom of choice

Jacob Rees-Mogg

On the subject of gambling Rees-Mogg made clear his advocacy of regulation; he recalled having “constituents come to me whose lives are ruined by gambling”. The MP was certain in his opposition to the legalisation of drugs. He claimed that the “damage that would be done by legalising them outweighs the benefit of giving people freedom of choice.”

The Q&A section, like the event in general, went virtually without an opposing voice to challenge the speaker on his highly controversial views or his involvement in the Brexit campaign. One audience member, however, did attempt to pushback against the “lies” from the Leave.EU campaign. Rees-Mogg argued that it was the Remain campaign which lied and conducted “project fear”. In regards to the widely disputed bus banner, the MP retorted “350 million is true. It is the gross contribution per week. Just because you don’t like the way a figure is used, doesn’t make it a lie. As it happens, I used in my speeches the net figure, I think it is a better figure, that doesn’t make the 350 million untrue. Its just the Remain campaign didn’t like it being the higher figure.

Rees-Mogg avoided questions pertaining to Brexit and government actions due to the speakers’ current role and the sensitivity around such subjects. One of those avoided questions was who the MP wanted to succeed House Speaker John Bercow. Rees-Mogg refused to reveal his favoured successor. Whilst he expressed having “a great deal of admiration for Mr Bercow”, he condemned the Speaker for allegedly overextending his power. Rees-Mogg criticised Bercow for “ignoring the requirements of his role and making speeches outside Parliament on his own personal views”. He went on to argue that “the speaker requires impartiality and authority. If the Speaker is not impartial, he lacks authority. I think what’s happed recently has been damaging for the role of Speaker.” 

Regarding Rees-Mogg’s visit, the President of Exeter University Labour Society said: “The right honourable member for the 18th century is the prime example of the reactionary tendencies of the Tory party. He believes it is that woman must give birth to their rapist’s child, that homosexuality is immoral and unnatural, and that, despite roleplaying as a respectable democrat, that parliament can simply be suspended to attempt to force through legislative outcomes. We will campaign our hardest to put him back on the opposition benches where his regressive politics belongs.”

We reached out to the Exeter University Conservative Association for comment and are awaiting their response.