Home News Exeter Graduates Celebrate with Online Ceremony

Exeter Graduates Celebrate with Online Ceremony

Image: Wallpaper Flare

On 31st July 2020, the virtual graduation ceremony took place for the class of 2020. Unlike previous years, the ceremony was not physical due to Covid-19. Instead, the physical ceremony has been postponed to the summer of 2021.

Recording of the ceremony is available on YouTube.

The ceremony involved the Vice-Chancellor Sir Steve Smith, the Chancellor Lord Myners of Truro, and celebrities as well as prominent alumni congratulating the new graduates.

We simply could not let this moment pass without marking such an important milestone in our students’ lives, as well as creating a chance for graduates to celebrate with those who have supported them. I’m incredibly proud and delighted that we were able to join together online to officially confer degrees upon those who were graduating.

Sir Steve Smith, Vice-chancellor at the University of Exeter

Along with the Livestream, various videos from lecturers and guest speakers had been placed on the platform Flipgrid. There were over 600 videos along with 14000 views. Some notable speakers include Actor and Director Charles Dance and Dan Boyd who is a Scottish Film Director.

The ceremony thanked all graduating students for the hard work and support to the university during the pandemic, as well as acknowledging the medical students who graduated this year.

Lastly, there was music performed by the University of Exeter Chapel Choir and Graduation Brass.

Editor: Elen Johnston