Home Sport Fisher ready to make his mark

Fisher ready to make his mark

Online Sport Editor Harry Scott-Munro talks to Exeter University alumni Johnny Fisher, ahead of his professional debut against Matt Gordon on Saturday night.

Fisher ready to make his mark

Image: Johnny Fisher

Saturday night marks the first foray into professional boxing for the Romford Bull, former Exeter University student Johnny Fisher.

Fisher, a heavyweight, has had high-quality, yet minimal experience at amateur level and admitted earlier this year in an interview with EURFC that the pandemic had probably sped up the process of his move into professional boxing.

On Saturday, he takes on Matt Gordon, as the second fight on the undercard for Josh Kelly vs David Avanesyan, determined to put on a show to kickstart his professional career.

Gordon has a career record of 2-5-1 but Fisher is well aware of the challenge he will face as he prepares to make his debut.

“He comes to fight, I’ve got to be on my game. He’s a heavyweight at the end of the day, a big fighter so I’ve got to be ready.”

Gordon has also served as Tyson Fury’s sparring partner, with the WBC heavyweight champion amongst a sea of famous faces who have wished Fisher good luck ahead of his first fight at this level, having recorded a video for Fisher that the young boxer reposted on Instagram.

“It was brilliant. I’m a massive fan of Tyson Fury so to receive that meant the world. The support has been massive for me. I also had a message off Lennox Lewis who is my idol so that was really exciting.”

Johnny Fisher has been signed by Matchroom Boxing by Eddie Hearn.
Image: Johnny Fisher

Speaking to Fisher earlier in the year for EURFC, he spoke of how excited he was for the opportunity to make his professional debut and how he hoped in the future to be able to fight in both his native Essex and Exeter, where he wants to be able to fight with fans in attendance to say thank you to all those who have supported him up to this point in his career.

Fisher though has been thrilled with the amount of support he has received from friends and the university.

“It’s been brilliant, so much support. Obviously it’s the SSE without fans, I’m sure there would’ve been a load of supporters here but I know they’ll be watching.”

One of the other challenges that Fisher has had to contend with has been the ‘Covid bubble’ he and his team has had to enter before the fight. Whilst admitting it has been a challenge, Fisher maintains that “it’s part of the job” that he and his fellow fighters must face in the current climate. Within his own bubble, his training patterns have not deviated too much, with his trainer Mark Tibbs, formerly trainer for Dillian Whyte, keeping him prepared and relaxed in the build-up to the fight. Despite the distractions, Fisher cannot wait to get in the ring on Saturday night.

“It’s a great opportunity for me, I’ve put a lot of hard work in and now I’ve got to put it all on the line on Saturday night.”

Fisher’s fight is the second of a packed undercard on Saturday night, with the bout expected to take place around 7pm on Sky Sports Arena.