Home Lifestyle ASMR – A Fix!

ASMR – A Fix!

Charlie Oldroyd discusses the benefits of ASMR and the importance of removing the stigma surrounding it.

ASMR – A Fix!

Image: Unsplash, Michal Czyz

ASMR or auto sensory meridian reflex is a tingling sensation through the spine or whole body. It can be triggered through audio or physical touch and is most often used to assist sleep, study or relaxation. There is a vast community, especially on YouTube producing new and interesting content every day. I have been listening to ASMR for over five years and though my listening habits have fluctuated it has never stopped being my ‘guilty pleasure’. However, this has made me question why the subject is so taboo.

ASMR is an often-misunderstood art that has been mystified by trolls or people who wrongly attribute the video to sexual undertones. Beginning as an underground community it has recently gone viral, attracting attention from TikTok and popular YouTubers. Almost everyone knows what ASMR is, but it is impossible to quantify what it means to one person. Years ago, I stumbled upon a video that slowly integrated into my night-time routine. I found myself falling asleep more quickly and waking up more refreshed in the mornings- so I decided to experiment with different genres. At first, I started with object-tapping videos but graduated to soft-spoken content to assist my sleep schedule. ASMR has also been integral in managing my anxiety, my favourite artists’ videos feel more like FaceTime with a friend than someone on the other end of a screen. I have met several long-term friends through the community and found it to be an incredibly safe and welcoming space—an escape from the worries of life.

I would encourage anyone to try ASMR at least once and welcome the strange and often amazing sensations that may follow. Relaxation should never be privatised – ASMR is integral to my self-care routine! Alongside skincare and massage, these videos have given me a holistic sense of relaxation and peace. Why not give it a try?