Home Arts & Lit Art of the Summer: Classic Works in Paris

Art of the Summer: Classic Works in Paris

Amberly Wright shares her week of Parisian summer and the artwork that framed it.

Image: Prudence Heward via flickr

This summer, my boyfriend and I took a much-needed trip to Paris after a difficult first year of university filled with Facetime calls, long train journeys, and all of the other experiences of long-distance. During our six days, we wanted to experience Parisian history and culture, so we visited lots of art galleries and museums, much to the approval of my boyfriend – an art student. Our favourite memory of our stay in Paris was our day trip to Claude Monet’s house and gardens. We put my French GCSE to the test by ordering crêpes and coffee before entering. It was, without doubt, an overwhelmingly lovely experience; the lilies – the inspiration behind the series of paintings called Nympheas – were as angelic as I’d imagined. This day was made even better by seeing many of the paintings themselves the following day in Musée de l’Orangerie.

the lilies – the inspiration behind the series of paintings called Nympheas – were as angelic as I’d imagined

Next, we visited Musée d’Orsay and saw Van Gogh’s Starry Night over the Rhône, among hundreds of amazing works. Reading the backstory to the painting and Van Gogh’s struggles provoked some emotions. My favourite work was François Pompon’s ten-foot marble Polar Bear. The day was made even more perfect with a picnic along the Seine to end our art-filled trip to Paris.