Home InternationalBeyond Exeter Discover the Wonders of Peru

Discover the Wonders of Peru

Mathias La Pira describes his trip to Peru and mentions the variety of experiences to try there.
Lake Titicaca, Image: bobistraveling via Wikimedia Commons

Peru, a land of ancient civilizations, breathtaking landscapes, and vibrant cultures, invites conquering travellers to explore its diverse and captivating beauty. From the magnificent Montanes de 7 colores to the inspiring ruins of Machu Picchu, this South American gem offers an unforgettable adventure for those seeking to discover the rich tapestry of its history and natural wonders.

One of the key reasons to visit Peru is its unparalleled historical and archaeological heritage. At the top of the list is the famous Machu Picchu, an Incan citadel located in the Andean mountains. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is full of history and an epitome of ancient architecture. Exploring this archaeological masterpiece offers a real significance and understanding of the fascinating past of the Incan civilization. In addition to Machu Picchu, Peru also has a big variety of historical sites, such as the historic center of Lima (UNESCO World Heritage Site) that showcases the Spanish colonial influence. Peru’s historical richness offers a captivating journey through time, allowing visitors to witness the fascinating blend of ancient and modern cultures.

In addition to Machu Picchu, Peru also has a big variety of historical sites, such as the historic center of Lima (UNESCO World Heritage Site) that showcases the Spanish colonial influence

The Andes Mountains also present inspiring scenery, perfect for hiking and adventure enthusiasts. However, it’s crucial to prepare well, particularly if you’re not used to high altitudes. Acclimatisation is essential to avoid altitude sickness, and travellers are encouraged to spend a few days in the city of Cusco or other high-altitude regions before embarking on more strenuous activities. Some other sensational places to visit are Puno, Tacna and the very famous Lake Titicaca- all of them being an essential travelling experience. 

Peru’s culinary scene is another compelling reason to visit. Peruvian cuisine is renowned worldwide, offering very tasty ingredients from indigenous culture, Spanish culinary techniques, and flavours influenced by African, Asian, and European cuisines. A plate of Lomo Saltado (savoury stir-fry) is, for example, a traditional dish that I would highly recommended for everyone to try.

Peru’s culinary scene is another compelling reason to visit

Peru is a captivating destination that offers a blend of history, nature, adventure, and culinary delights. However, it’s essential to prepare yourself adequately, especially if you are not accustomed to high altitudes, to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience. Embark on a journey to this magical land and immerse yourself in its ancient mysteries and natural splendour.