Home Freshers What to bring (and what NOT to bring) to uni

What to bring (and what NOT to bring) to uni

Eloise Grainger, Print Sports Editor, shares her top tips for new university students when packing.
Image: Pixabay

“Mum, how many socks will I need?”  

“Is bringing a blender a tad too much?”  

“Sure, another fake plant won’t hurt!” 

Packing for university can be a challenge, especially if it is your first time away from home. The task of working out what is essential enough to bring and what should really stay at home often leaves soon-to-be-students and parents feeling confused and exhausted.  

Not to worry though… this short list will help guide you on what to bring (so you don’t make the same mistakes many Freshers do every September)!  

What I wish I remembered: 

• Door stop: this would have made breaking the ice a lot easier with the people in my flat and prevent any unwanted walk-ins! Propping the door open in your halls can let others in your flat know you are free or happy to chat, and when the door is closed, everyone knows you’d be revising for your next exam or taking your fourth nap of the day.   
  • Battery operated fairy lights / decorations: it took me a while to buy some fairy lights and print out some photos. It really truly makes your room feel more like home, as you can personalise it to your own aesthetic and tailor it to your style. If you feel worried about looming homesickness in the first few days, I recommend personalising your room ASAP so you can feel more relaxed and enjoy your own personal sanctuary. 
  • Portable fan / desk fan: whilst we may have radiators in our rooms for the winter, it can get a little hot in the summer. For someone like me who always feels hot, this will be a lifesaver so don’t wait for the May heatwaves to get one! 

What I could have lived without: 

• Stacks of notebooks: this really depends on your studying style, but for most at university, notes are usually taken digitally. I certainly didn’t touch one notebook in my first year and I could have done without the back breaking effort of lifting heavy boxes of notebooks into my flat – leave the notebooks at home (unless you love journaling or handwritten notes of course)! 
  • Desk lamp: most university accommodation is equipped with built-in desk lights, so the extra desk lamp was a slight waste of desk space. My particular lamp could make ambient light which was nice for reading, but fairy lights and the built in reading light by my bed was sufficient enough.  
  • Old school textbooks and notes: first year is all about getting everyone up to speed with their subject and adjusting to uni life, so you are very unlikely to need to revisit old material. You’ll make new and better notes that are more relevant anyway! 

It is always a good idea to check what essentials your specific accommodation will provide via the university website as you won’t want to double up on things. Finally, remember, you can never have too many fake plants!