Home Freshers Why joining a society is crucial to university life

Why joining a society is crucial to university life

Isabel Bratt shares the importance of societies at Exeter University.
Image: Pixabay

University life can be daunting, especially for Freshers. You find yourself in a new city, studying new subjects, balancing deadlines, and living independently. Trying to find groups of friends and hobbies to pursue can often add to this stress. However, the University of Exeter has a wide range of societies that make this process much easier, with the number of student-led groups reaching over three hundred. There truly is something for everyone at Exeter, and in this article, I will provide a guide.

So. Why is it important to join a society? 

Societies are student-led groups, centred on specific interests, hobbies, or causes. They play a pivotal role in university life, as they can provide members with a platform for personal growth, networking, academic support, research and development beyond an academic curriculum, the opportunity to meet like-minded friends, and of course, socials. 

Societies supply members with a sense of community.

Societies supply members with a sense of community. If you’re nervous about meeting new people in Exeter, finding a society full of like-minded individuals can help ease the stressful transition. Whether you are interested in music, sports, or academic subjects, you will be able to form long-lasting friendships, through your society of choice.

You can also find a much-needed break from the deadlines, exams, and general pressures of university academics. Engaging in a society will allow you to maintain a healthy work-life balance, which will greatly contribute to wellbeing. Societies also often offer wellbeing support, through their welfare secretaries. Having this space is important, as it allows you to de-stress, and find any support you may need.

Societies are welcoming to new members of all abilities, so feel free to try anything!

Societies also offer opportunities to develop skills and hobbies, whether new or old. You can try new sports or continue to practice your musical instruments. Societies are welcoming to new members of all abilities, so feel free to try anything! Employers will value these extracurricular skills, as through joining a society, you may also gain skills of organisation, leadership, teamwork, and time management. 

What societies does Exeter offer?

Exeter is particularly well known for its myriad of sports societies. There are popular sports, such as Rugby, Football, Skiing, and Netball. Exeter also offers societies for less well-known, but still equally as wonderful sports, such as: Pole Fitness Society, Calisthenics Society, and the newly founded Pickleball Society.

Almost every subject has its own academic society, such as English Society, History Society, Psychology Society, and many more. Joining these groups can help you find friends within your course, and help you extend your academic knowledge and capabilities. Creative societies, also, will help you to extend your skills, or try new ones!

Moreover, there are many appreciation societies, for both popular and niche topics. There are many music-appreciation societies, such as Taylor Swift Society, Lana Del Ray Society, and Harry Styles Society. If you’re interested in horror, the newly founded Scare Society shows regular screenings of horror films, in the Campus Cinema. There are also food-appreciation societies, game-appreciation societies, and arts-appreciation societies. 

If you are interested in a specific cause, fundraising or volunteering, there are political and charity groups also available. 

Exeter has a society for everyone, so don’t be afraid to try a bit of everything!

A full list of societies on offer at Exeter can be found on the Students Guild website.