Home Features Why Do People Want ‘A New Way Forward’?

Why Do People Want ‘A New Way Forward’?

Kerry Myers argues that Kamala Harris' presidential candidacy has restored faith in the Democratic Party.
Image: SecretName101 via Wikimedia Commons

On 21 July 2024, Kamala Harris’ announcement of her candidacy for President opened the floodgates for a tidal wave of small donations (those under $200). In the last 11 days of July, Harris’ campaign received 1.5 million new donors and $47 million in the first 24 hours. She certainly wasn’t invisible to the public during Biden’s campaign trail, and her political position hasn’t changed, so why the dramatic increase in small donors after he withdrew from the race? 

According to The New York Times, Harris’ campaign saw an 18 per cent increase in younger donors compared to Biden, and a 100 per cent increase in the number of female donors. Numbers like these show how small donations are more representative of public opinion, as these numbers make it clear that donors did not lose faith in the Democratic Party, but in Joe Biden. 

Political campaigns are somewhat dependent on the donations they receive, and their ‘war chest’ can sway the election outcome for several reasons. Donations create more options, and swing states are one example of when a stronger arsenal might be necessary. Due to the impact that donations have, the ability for an individual or an organisation such as ‘White Dudes for Harris’ to have a say before the voting is significantly more democratic than private or larger donations which could incur accusations of influencing a candidate’s political message.

For the Harris campaign, the small donors’ surge demonstrates an acceptance of her campaign message: a campaign with integrity for the people, ‘A New Way Forward’. Should Kamala Harris win, it is likely to be more cohesive. 

Why is there such a stark difference in the reception of Harris’ campaign compared to Biden’s?

Kamala Harris has fewer issues ascending a set of stairs and remembering world leaders’ names than Biden. During Biden’s campaign this year, the polls indicated a Republican lead with some stating that, although they believe more in the Democratic Party, they simply do not have faith in Joe Biden to run a country. 68 per cent of voters stated they were concerned for the health of Joe Biden according to NBC News. Considering these worries, the knowledge that he might have been unfit to run a country likely had an impact on the small, individual donations that he received.

Health concerns were not reserved for Joe Biden alone, as 55 per cent of those interviewed in the same poll believed that Donald Trump also did not have the mental and physical health capacity to be President.

Kamala Harris, on the other hand hasn’t caused the public to raise any health concerns, so it is likely that the preference of Harris over Biden restored faith in the integrity of Democratic Party, significantly contributing to the current trends in the polls and the rise in small donations.

Kamala Harris’ presence as a Black-Indian American woman in the White House, making her the highest-ranking woman in US political history, is significant. Seeing men of Biden and Trump’s demographic achieve political power is no surprise to those watching American politics. This is why Obama’s election in 2008 was so significant.

Harris’ position as Vice-President is unprecedented, it gives hope to those who see themselves in her that democratic policies will be present in the White House and Congress not only in legislation, but also in those chosen to represent the American people.

In contrast to a similar Zoom meeting of her Vice-Presidential Campaign in 2020, only 90 people showed up.

In the Zoom meeting hosted by the #WinWithBlackWomen network on 21 July 2024, 90,000 black women entered the meeting to give their support to the Harris campaign. Provisions were made by staff at the company to enable the additional supporters to attend. In contrast to a similar Zoom meeting of her Vice-Presidential Campaign in 2020, only 90 people showed up.

It is not only the Presidential candidates who are effective in stirring up small donations, the choice of running mate also contributes to the image of the campaign. Tim Walz builds upon a campaign that is likely to keep small donations rolling in. The campaign that Harris’ team have built – one focused on integrity and the concerns of the people – seems to have been welcomed by the people given the highest rate of first-time donors.

It seems that Biden’s decision to end his bid for Presidency restored some faith in the Democratic Party’s ability to function. With the prospect of becoming the first Black-Indian female President of the United States, the donors’ enthusiastic response was monumental in consolidating the support of Kamala Harris.