Home InternationalEurope Europe Underwater: Storm Boris Takes Over

Europe Underwater: Storm Boris Takes Over

Emily Clements analyses the causes and effects of the recent Storm Boris, which left many around Europe displaced from their homes.
2 minutes read
Storm Boris has affected multiple countries in Europe drastically – leaving many displaced or homeless as a result. (User Adege via Pixabay)

Storm Boris flooded Europe through the middle of September to late September. Ravaging Poland, Austria, the Czech Republic, Italy, Romania and more, this storm has created great risk to the citizens of the countries it has swept through. Moreover, there is a huge financial burden on these countries to provide relief as well as repair the great damage. Is there enough help being provided to assist in the aftermath of the devastating natural disaster? 

Over the worst four-day period of Storm Boris, it was reported to be the rainiest weather that had ever been recorded in Europe. The worst of Storm Boris sadly killed at least 24 people, torrential rain creating such a great flood that more people have gone missing. 5 people died in Austria, 7 in Poland, 7 in Romania, and 5 in Czechia, whilst the lives of so many others were held under threat. 

“There is a huge financial burden on these countries to provide relief as well as repair the great damage.”

The flood has burst dams, forced tens of thousands of people to be evacuated from their homes and leave their belongings behind, and cut off electricity. It has either burst out of riverbanks or enveloped entire neighbourhoods. The mass overflow of water that has drowned streets has been assisted by heavy and powerful winds, destabilising the safety of citizens and further threatening them and their homes. On top of this, it has cost billions of pounds of damage across Europe; even just for the Czech Republic, there are billions of Euros needed to fully recover from the damage caused, money that could cause the government to reconsider their budget.  

Czechia and Poland were considering asking for EU financial aid to subsidise repairs for the damage caused by the flooding. This money would help repair homes, schools, hospitals, and other social facilities. On the 19th of September, it was announced that the EU would fund €10 billion in aid for the countries affected by the destruction and devastation of the floods. Relief teams and the army are involved in aiding the aftermath, with the involvement of up to 2000 soldiers until the end of October. The Salvation Army, as an example of an aid team, has been active in its response to the flooding, sending teams of people to different locations and providing shelter and food to the victims of the flood’s devastation.  

“Czechia and Poland were considering asking for EU financial aid to subsidise repairs for the damage caused by the flooding.”

On a positive note, it has been stated by the World Weather Attribution Group that these conditions are still extremely rare. The climate has risen by 1.3 degrees Celsius as a result of climate change, and in this current climate, a flood like this would only take place once every 100-300 years

However, if more desperate action is not taken to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, floods like this will unfortunately become increasingly frequent. Whilst we may feel safe now, it is becoming urgent that action is taken to make changes to avoid further increases in the temperature of the climate, especially to combat the predicted further 1.7 degrees by the end of the Century.