Home Screen Review: Nobody Wants This

Review: Nobody Wants This

Flora Runnacles reviews the new Netflix romcom TV show, 'Nobody Wants This'.
Nobody Wants This | Official Trailer

Despite what the title suggests, everybody wants and LOVES this new Netflix original. Created by Erin Foster, this Romantic Comedy centers on the unexpected relationship between an agnostic sex podcaster with a bad dating history and a recently single rabbi. Actors Kristen Bell and Adam Brody bring the perfect balance of likeable, relatable and naturally flawed personalities to their roles of Joanne and Noah, making the two characters a joy to watch. 

Not only are the characters easy to root for individually but their chemistry is palpable. When they first meet the connection is undeniable. However, what struck me most is that the show leans on the banter and initial awkwardness between the two as the driving factor for their chemistry, as opposed to the sexual chemistry that Rom-Coms typically focus on. The dialogue is witty, real and entertaining, making the show feel new and fresh. 

You may be thinking, really? A Netflix original Rom-Com starring two well-known actors, set in Los Angeles, with an obvious point of conflict, a “new” and “fresh” concept? Contrary to my original assumptions, the show 100% lives up to its 94% Rotten Tomatoes score. 

Actors Kristen Bell and Adam Brody bring the perfect balance of likeable, relatable and naturally flawed personalities to their roles of Joanne and Noah, making the two characters a joy to watch

However, it’s not just the leads’ sharp banter and connection which allows the show to truly exceed expectations, the supporting characters are just as pivotal to the show. Joanne’s and Noah’s families are heavily involved in the plot, each with their own quirks. In particular, Joanne’s sister, Morgan, with whom she runs her sex podcast, plays the perfect role of a judgmental, painfully honest sister. 

Throughout the series Morgan and Sasha, Noah’s brother, grow closer forming a friendship that, despite Sasha being married, isn’t without its romantic tension. The two characters are just as relatable and likeable as the protagonists and add depth to the show. Sasha adds humour to ease tense situations and proves to be a sense of comfort for viewers. This is quite the feat, considering his borderline emotional affair with Morgan. 

The ending does what most Netflix original series do and leaves room for a season 2. Which, as a previous victim of Netflix’s seemingly arbitrary show cancellations, felt heartbreaking and unsatisfactory. Fortunately, as another pointer to the show’s success, it was renewed for a second season just a few weeks after it was released. With an authentic and fresh story, relatable characters and witty dialogue, this show is perfect for those who love Rom-coms and easy viewing.