Home Uncategorized New science journal hits campus

New science journal hits campus

The first issue of the Exeter Undergraduate Science Journal arrived in print on Streatham campus last week. The team celebrated with prosecco at a launch event on May 4th. The journal aims at publishing academic work from students in the College of Life and Environmental Sciences (CLES), and the College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Physical Sciences (CEMPS). It joins with interdisciplinary academic journal, The Undergraduate Exeter, in providing opportunities for students to publish and share their work on campus.

This issue of the Exeter Undergraduate Science Journal covers a range of writing styles across popular science, essay, and reports. Articles in this issue include “Bats aren’t bad: a call for greater positive media coverage of bats”, “How a better informed public could contribute to the prevention of antibiotic resistances”, and “Negative temperatures on the Kelvin scale”. Writers were invited to discuss their work at the launch event, where the articles were on display.

As a Students As Change Agents project, the publication has already been awarded SACA Project of the year in the VP Education Awards last month. The award recognises the success of self-contained student initiatives leading change in academic experience, and has been running for nearly 10 years.

The editorial team encourages students to submit for future issues of the Exeter Undergraduate Science Journal, posting on their Facebook page: “We are really excited about the future of our journal. Watch this space as we will be posting information about submissions for next year’s issue, along with ‘writing prompts’, which will hopefully inspire you to write for us.”

Copies are free and can be found all four campuses.