Home Lifestyle Culture Every Day Pride

Every Day Pride

Penny Dinh tells us about the ways she carries Pride with every day her outside of just celebrating in Pride Month

383

When I was about 13 / 14, when I first experienced feelings for girls, I discovered that having only your right ear pierced was a symbol for homosexuality. And so, when my left ear piercing closed up, I couldn’t be bothered to get it pierced again. My right ear piercing was my subtle way of embracing my queerness, and funny enough, I actually made friends with a fellow queer girl on my course because she also only had her right ear pierced. For certain reasons, my left ear is now also pierced, but I always wear a bigger earring on my right ear.

As I grew more confident in embracing my queer identity, I have expressed my identity more explicitly. Purple is a dominant colour in Bisexual Pride flag, so this colour is featured a lot in my wardrobe, and in my makeup collection. Purple lipstick and sparkly purple eyeshadow are something I can never live without.

To make it even more explicit, I almost always wear a Pride badge on my jacket. To someone who does not know me at all, this would mean perhaps I am in the LGBTQ+ community, or I am ready to fight for LGBTQ+ people. I find it very important to make my identity visible on campus, because it would convey the reassuring message that Exeter is a safe place for the LGBTQ+ community.