Home NewsLocal News Women of the World Festival comes to Exeter

Women of the World Festival comes to Exeter

Last weekend, Exeter became one of the latest host cities of the Women of the World (WOW) Festival, an event organised by the eponymous foundation.

Jude Kelly, the founder of the WOW Foundation, stresses the importance of referring to the event as a ‘festival,’ rather than a ‘conference,’ in the introduction to the WOW Exeter event programme. Such a distinction allows for the true celebration of the achievements in the fight for equality amongst genders in a warm and welcoming atmosphere.

A variety of workshops, debates and performances were spread across venues such as the Exeter Phoenix, the Exeter Library and the Royal Albert Memorial Museum. All events aimed to celebrate women and girls in a respectful and empowering manner. In addition to celebration, an examination and consistent challenging of the various issues surrounding gender inequality was a crucial element of the festival. A much-needed discourse was welcomed, focusing on the identification of such issues and brainstorming how women of all ages can be supported in overcoming the inequalities that often hinder their full potential.

“The whole weekend was infused with a spirit of inclusivity, but freedom to disagree.”

The topics ranged from panels on toxic masculinity to more serious subjects such as domestic abuse.

As part of the festival, a collection point for women’s sanitary products was set up in the Plant Cafe to help combat period poverty.

Dr Laura Sangha, a history lecturer at the university, found it to be “an incredibly affirming experience.”

“The whole weekend was infused with a spirit of inclusivity, but freedom to disagree”, she continued. “Of celebration of woman’s achievements, and horror and frustration at the persistence of prejudice and abuse.”