Home Lifestyle Travelling on a budget

Travelling on a budget

When it comes to booking a trip away, be it alone or with friends, we’re all guilty of occasionally leaving a few things until the last minute. And this can rack up costs if you’re not planning carefully. Firstly, you should be savvy when arranging your travel to and from your destination. By using sites like LastMinute.com or Skyscanner, you can find relatively cheap flights from pretty much any destination.

My favourite thing about this site is to choose a departure airport and set the destination to “Everywhere” – which lets you see where the cheapest flight is heading on any given date! I recently spent a week in Bosnia just because the flights from Stuttgart to Sarajevo were cheap a couple of weeks ago.

Couchsurfing is more of a cultural exchange than just a free place to stay

As for finding accommodation, hostels can be a great option but to keep costs as low as possible, it’s worth looking at the Couchsurfing website to find a host who can put you up for free for a couple of nights. Couchsurfing is more of a cultural exchange than just a free place to stay – hosts sign up and offer a sofa or spare room for guests who are visiting their hometowns. You often get a far more genuine insight into a place by Couchsurfing than you would if you were just passing through and staying in a hostel.