Home Music Easy Life: the band formed in a pub that captures a 2020 aura

Easy Life: the band formed in a pub that captures a 2020 aura

Image: Joe Vozza

Holly Lamb discusses and appreciates the interesting and alternative sound of band Easy Life.

Easy Life’s chaotic, slighty confused, and hazy music can be heard from the headphones of teenagers across the UK. The lively blend of jazz, funk and elements of hip-hop creates a beautiful backdrop for the vocals. Lead singer Murray Matravers’ voice is youthful and beguiling, as he navigates topics of depression and youthful angst.

the lyrics invite the listener to immerse themselves in the technicolour world the band paints in an almost synaesthesia-like state

Their music is fundamentally enticing. The beat of songs such as ‘Nightmares’ has you craving more, and the lyrics invite the listener to immerse themselves in the technicolour world the band paints in an almost synaesthesia-like state. The band’s new album Junk Food is in many ways a vulnerable phenomenon, welcoming a presence that music fanatics crave – it is as much an auditory masterpiece as it is a live one. Easy Life are unafraid of performing every lyric and seizing the chance to engage with their audience. As the band even expressed themselves to NME in 2019, they epitomise “Your favourite old jazz record mixed with the dirty wonders of modern production techniques.” Enjoy the escapism, as 2020 has Easy life’s name written all over it.