Home Music Single Review: Troye Sivan – Take Yourself Home

Single Review: Troye Sivan – Take Yourself Home

Print Music Editor Bridie Adams reviews Troye Sivan's 'leaked' single 'Take Yourself Home'.

Print Music Editor Bridie Adams reviews Troye Sivan’s ‘leaked’ single ‘Take Yourself Home’.

‘Take Yourself Home’ has a gloomy, melancholy sound that marks the beginning of a new artistic era for Troye Sivan. The lyrics, especially in the chorus, are reminiscent of the dark mood of music by artists like Lana Del Rey and Billie Eilish. “I’m tired of the city, scream if you’re with me, if I’m gonna die, let’s die somewhere pretty” suggests Sivan’s desire to be elsewhere, to get away, a feeling that many will relate to while in lockdown. These lyrics and the sad, brooding sound of the chorus itself are what ground the track, giving it a different vibe from Sivan’s earlier work, a lot of which has been more upbeat. 

‘Take Yourself Home’ has a gloomy, melancholy sound that marks the beginning of a new artistic era for Troye Sivan.

As Troye Sivan has “leaked” his own music after telling fans on social media that he wants to get new songs out there as soon as possible, ‘Take Yourself Home’ has come as a welcomed surprise from the singer. Sivan’s new, accompanying image is also fresh for fans, with his fiery-coloured hairstyle and far-away stare on the cover of the single appearing as edgy and fitting to the dark sound of his new work. ‘Take Yourself Home’ is a compelling single with an interesting and new mood for Sivan, and it’s exciting to see what he will bring out next.