Home International The Most Interesting Thing: New York City Edition

The Most Interesting Thing: New York City Edition

The Most Interesting Thing in New York City

Image: Pixabay

When exploring the ‘Big Apple‘, Tabitha Hannam says that if you ought to check out any place, take a peek into the tranquility of Greenacre Park

New York City. Films, books, TV series, podcasts, songs and many more mediums have ingrained this city into our cultural consciousness. A year abroad in the U.S. practically begs for this metropolis to be explored—especially if your college is in the mid-Hudson Valley, a trifling two-hour train journey to Grand Central.

As Alicia Keys famously sang in ‘Empire State of Mind’, New York is a “concrete jungle,” and sometimes, especially during the humid summer months, a little shade and distance from the blasts of heat from air conditioner units onto the street would go a long way.

“The soothing sound of water effectively drowning out the traffic”

This is where the sequestered city parks come in handy. Whilst in midtown, hunting for the best New York bagel, my friends and I stumbled upon Greenacre Park. Situated on E 51st Street, just around the corner from Ess-A-Bagel (and I can confirm that the selection of bagels there is unparalleled), Greenacre is an oasis of calm.

A different side to New York
Image by Tabith Hannam

A 25-foot waterfall adorns the back of the square, the soothing sound of water effectively drowning out the traffic. With three terrace levels, tables and chairs for patrons, and a couple of steps from the regular street level, Greenacre exudes an intimacy that is perfect to rest your weary feet in. Although privately owned, the park is free to enter and is open from 8am-8pm every day.

Unsurprisingly, Greenacre is off the beaten tourist path, which means that you get to rub shoulders with New Yorkers lunching, taking business meetings, and living their day-to-day lives. If you have a hankering to live like a local, Greenacre Park is the place to start the experience.

Editor: Ryan Gerrett