Home Lifestyle Feeling homesick? Here’s how to turn uni into a home from home

Feeling homesick? Here’s how to turn uni into a home from home

Lottie Woods discusses how to manage feelings of home sickness, offering some ways to make your stay at Uni feel like a real home from home.

Image: Rachel Cunningham

Lottie Woods discusses how to manage feelings of home sickness, offering some ways to make your stay at university feel like a real home from home.

As we’re approaching the middle of term, it’s likely you’re starting to feel slightly homesick. Whilst this is completely normal, there are some things you can do to help – like updating your room, for one. Although students are often reluctant to cash out when it comes to home ware, it is definitely worth the investment. Uni rooms are notoriously plain and unwelcoming, so it is up to you to make it feel like home. Cushions, blankets, and candles are an easy and inexpensive way to cosy up your room and inject some personality. The Dunelm Teddy Bear Cuddle Cushion is a personal favourite and comes in handy when you inevitably find yourself moving to your bed to finish off some work.

Uni rooms are notoriously plain and unwelcoming, so it is up to you to make it feel like home

Additionally, plants (whether real or fake) will help add character, elegance, and a sense of life, bringing the outside in. I would also suggest filling your room with pictures of family and friends; FreePrints offer 45 free prints a month, so make the most of it. However, if you’re looking for a more drastic change, try creating a Pinterest board before heading to Ikea, Urban Outfitters, or even the Exeter charity shops, which are usually filled with goodies.

Another way to reduce your longing for home is to immerse yourself in the here and now. Go out for drinks with friends, visit Exmouth beach, or suggest a movie night – although if you’re opting for Mamma Mia, maybe skip the Slipping Through My Fingers scene. Or simply spend a day doing nothing in order to relax and re-charge – It’s important to keep a healthy work-life balance, so try not to feel guilty about taking time off. Alternatively, it’s never too late to join a society. This is a great way to meet new people and will help keep you occupied. 

Finally, don’t forget that your friends are probably feeling the same. Open up a conversation with them and provide some mutual reassurance and support. If all else fails, reading week is fast approaching, so not to worry. Take the time to travel back home, and after a few days you’ll be desperate to come back (just in time for the Christmas market).