Home Screen Review: Puss in Boots: The Last Wish

Review: Puss in Boots: The Last Wish

Lisette Reed has nothing but praise for Dreamworks’ new, now Oscar-nominated animated extravaganza, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish.

Review: Puss in Boots: The Last Wish

Puss In Boots: The Last Wish | Official Trailer 2 | Universal

Lisette Reed has nothing but praise for Dreamworks’ new, now Oscar-nominated animated extravaganza, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish

Alongside new releases, such as Babylon, is the long-awaited sequel to Puss in Boots (2011), Puss in Boots: The Last Wish. With original cast members, like Antonio Banderas and Salma Hayek, returning, the movie also welcomes the likes of Florence Pugh, Olivia Colman and John Mulaney. The film captures the essence of nostalgia for the original Dreamworks franchise, and its new animation style adds a sense of fun and chaos to the plot. 

After realising he’s on his last life, Puss in Boots sets out to find the magical Last Wish and restore his nine lives. Alongside him are aspiring therapy dog Perrito and his previous love Kitty Softpaws––both of whom have wishes also. Word soon reaches the likes of Jack Horner (John Mulaney), Goldilocks, and her Three Bears, who all race to get their hands on the legendary last wish. But who will win and have their wish granted? 

Although inherently a children’s film, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is an emotional, immersive must-watch for all

Given the franchise’s previous instalments, this movie was incredibly entertaining and nostalgic. Dreamworks, as always, incorporates smaller in-jokes and easter eggs for maturer audiences. Moreover, the colourful and interactive animation style was a refreshing concept and a pleasant surprise for such a mainstream franchise. Although not new – with similar techniques appearing in Sony’s Spiderman: Into the Spider-verse (2018) – seeing it again instils hope that more major studios will use this animation style. 

The editing and framing of the film are incredibly satisfying and energetic, never leaving you bored of it – watching this is truly a treat, and each animation is so intricately and carefully composed that you can’t help but watch in awe. 

Although inherently a children’s film, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is an emotional, immersive must-watch for all. As per, Dreamworks’ Shrek franchise and its respective spin-offs never disappoint. Furthermore, the characterisations in this film were so clever and entertaining, such as giving Goldilocks and the Three Bears East End accents. I still don’t know why, but giving them a London dialect was on point. Notable performances include Florence Pugh, Olivia Colman, and the show’s star, Antonio Banderas. 

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is impressive, creative, heart-warming, and a must-watch for all.