Home Arts & Lit Fresher reads: Bunny by Mona Awad

Fresher reads: Bunny by Mona Awad

Amber Platel discusses why this book may be the perfect read for commencing the new University year.
2 minutes read
Image: rawpixel.com

Mona Awad’s Bunny is a slippery fever dream. It follows reclusive student Samantha as she falls slowly into the world of the Bunnies, a cult of beautiful, pink, sugary sweet girls and their satanic and ritualistic tendencies. A seamless blend of horror and dark academia, Bunny is the perfect novel to accompany the shift to university and the copious changes that come with it.

Mona Awad’s writing style is distinct in its ability to captivate the reader. Her fast pacing, engaging scenes and vivid descriptions create an immersive experience. The start of university is an inevitably busy time, so having a book which is easy to read and engage with is a must-have. Aside from the horror themes of cults and murder, Bunny deals with many issues that university students face in their day-to-day lives. Issues of class divide and confronting personal differences, feelings of isolation, academic burnout and deadline stress, and even the occasional awkward seminar.

The start of University is an inevitably busy time, so having a book which is easy to read and engage with is a must have

Starting university, regardless of how ready a person feels, is accompanied by a huge wave of change and transformation. Bunny is a novel of transformation. Nothing in this book ends as it begins, in both a personal growth way, and in a more Gothic horror Frankenstein and Metamorphosis style. The extremities of these changes might make the change to university feel a little more bearable. After all, regardless of how your university experience goes, you can seek comfort in the fact that it will never be as terrifying as the protagonists of this book.