Home LifestyleFashion and Beauty Dressing for the weather

Dressing for the weather

Agata Koralewska, Online International Editor, shares her best tips for staying stylish during the unpredictable autumn weather.
Image: freestocks via Wikimedia Commons

The frustrating feeling that you have not dressed for the weather is something that each one of us would have experienced in Exeter. The moody, English climate is very present in the everyday life of the town. With the start of autumn, it’s especially hard to decide what to wear; one day it can be raining, and the other can be the hottest day of the month. If you have ever misjudged the shining, autumn sun, and have come back home soaked, read on to find some solutions to looking stylish, regardless of the weather. 

Layering can save your life

One of the most obvious ideas is to think about layers in your outfit. It’s a perfect solution for when it changes from cold to hot and you start to boil in your seminar. Wearing a simple shirt with a collar and a jumper on top can look very elegant and gives you the option to take your sweater off when you are feeling too hot. If you start feeling too cold, wearing any other outerwear could spice your outfit up; whether it’s a colourful cardigan or a simple brown jacket that is perfect to put on when you feel that sudden blow of cold wind.

Wearing a simple shirt with a collar and a jumper on top can look very elegant and gives you the option to take your sweater off

Long skirts and tights

This advice is for the fellow skirt lovers. A perfect option for when you want to wear a skirt but don’t want your legs to freeze off is to wear a long skirt or tights. Long skirts are essential to get into the autumn mood, especially dark coloured or checkered. Another solution to the problem is wearing tights. My personal favourite are statement tights, they can have interesting patterns or a funky, contrasting colour in order to elevate your outfit.

Protect your neck

Especially now, when fresher’s flu is alive and well, protecting your neck is essential to not get ill. Scarves can be a very stylish addition to an oversized, long coat, making you look cozy and prepared for the sudden temperature drop. If you are dressed in neutral tones, a colourful scarf can be the perfect solution to make you look like a real autumn lover. 

Scarves can be a very stylish addition to an oversized, long coat

Appropriate shoes

Another very important thing that could compliment what you are wearing are shoes. The ones that seem perfect for autumn are combat shoes as they can be worn in almost every weather condition. Additionally, they are timeless and comfortable to walk in. Nothing beats the crunch of dry, orange leaves under your feet when you are walking around the campus.