Home Screen Review: Heartstopper Season 2

Review: Heartstopper Season 2

Kayleigh Swart discusses the second season of Netflix's Heartstopper, finding the show perfectly warming and cheesy in all the right ways.
Heartstopper: Season 2 | Official Trailer | Netflix

Heartstopper has been out for about two months now, so if you haven’t seen it yet, what have you been doing? Season one was highly praised, and this season had a lot to live up to. I think it’s done just that.

The show follows the lives of Nick, Charlie and their friends. Throughout the eight episodes we follow many character’s storylines, some familiar faces and some new. Every character is well developed in the show and none of the storylines feel rushed, despite the short runtime. Even the new characters feel well introduced into the plot and not out of place. It feels like we really get to know every main character, something a lot of shows can’t master with a lot less characters.

While Heartstopper is aimed at a younger audience, it manages to discuss more adult topics in a meaningful way, especially since this might be a viewer’s first exposure to these things. We see Charlie struggle with an eating disorder, and Nick’s battle to come out. We also see Darcy’s problem with her home life, and Isaac’s exploration of his asexuality. These topics are spoken about thoroughly but there is also a balance between these deeper topics and light hearted fun, making the show perfect for its younger target audience.

While Heartstopper is aimed at a younger audience, it manages to discuss more adult topics in a meaningful way, especially since this might be a viewer’s first exposure to these things.

I also think the production of the show should be noted. While cinematography isn’t the main focus, there are still lots of beautiful images. In addition to this, the occasional art work that appears is a nice touch, especially for the comic fans.

At some points, moments in the show can seem quite cheesy, but I think that’s what makes the show even better. So many LGBTQ+ stories are filled with sadness and pain, how many queer films can you name with a happy ending? I think we’re finally moving towards having more cheerful, romance filled stories of queer couples. I for one love ‘bad’ cliché romance movies, and it’s about time that queer people get these films and shows too.

I think this show is the perfect feel-good series to watch on a cold evening, with a hot cup of tea under a blanket. It makes you feel fuzzy and warm and just puts you in a good mood. Season three is already in production, and I can’t wait to see what Alice Oseman comes up with next.