Home Music Declan McKenna unveils new single “Mulholland’s Dinner And Wine”

Declan McKenna unveils new single “Mulholland’s Dinner And Wine”

Online Music Editor, Maya Fernandes, reviews Declan McKenna's latest release "Mulholland's Dinner And Wine."
Image: Flickr via Giulia Manfieri

Following on from the release of “Sympathy”, “Nothing Works”, and “Elevator Hum” in the last few months, Declan McKenna put out the fourth single of his upcoming album What Happened to the Beach? on the 18th January in the form of his newest song “Mulholland’s Dinner and Wine.” This latest track comes after the much-awaited release of McKenna’s cover of ABBA’s “Slipping Through My Fingers”, and is the final taster for his third album.

“Mulholland’s Dinner and Wine” is a characteristically eclectic tune with resonances of the artist’s time in Los Angeles, whilst remained rooted to home with its comedic title referring to a local off-licence in the UK. Much like his other recent releases, this single has a psychedelic, watery sound with its vocals chanting, “I got a boring apartment, all of the drugs/ I’m fucking dangerous, I get what I want.”

“Mulholland’s Dinner and Wine” is a characteristically eclectic tune with resonances of the artist’s time in Los Angeles.

It’s set to be huge year for McKenna, with the studio album approaching its release on the 9th February, followed by a tour featuring the songwriter’s biggest UK headline shows yet. With the much-awaited new record only a few weeks away, “Mulholland’s Dinner and Wine” is the perfect injection of sunshine that we need to get us through these cold winter months.