Home Lifestyle Exeter’s Hidden Gem: Magdalen Road

Exeter’s Hidden Gem: Magdalen Road

Lauren Griffin shares her favourite spots on Magdalen Street and why it is the best place to go and treat yourself.
Image: Lauren Griffin

As we enter Spring, sunny morning strolls for coffee and a croissant are a must. If you are looking for some quieter spots out of Exeter’s bustling town centre, Magdalen Road is colourful and cute, lined with a selection of bakeries, delis, and quaint gift shops.

One of the first stops you come to is whimsically named The Common Beaver and is the ideal café bakery to sit and people watch whilst you enjoy one of their ridiculously tasty bagels. Alternatively, you can grab a hot chocolate and a fresh almond croissant to takeaway and meander down the road with.

Magdalen Road features many an artisan food shop, from Bon Gout to Magdalen Cheese & Provisions, which cater for all your delicatessen related cravings. Featuring freshly baked bread, pastel de nata and a huge array of cheese and wine, this cheesemonger provides the ultimate ‘treat yourself’ moment to grab some amazing quality nibbles.

Magdalen Road features many an artisan food shop, from Bon Gout to Magdalen Cheese & Provisions, which cater for all your delicatessen related cravings.

On the subject of treating yourself, visit Leaf Street to browse the gorgeous bouquets and quirky cards and jewellery to gift yourself or a lucky loved one. My personal favourite are the dried flower bunches that are deliciously fragrant and will perk up any room in your uni home.

Image: Lauren Griffin

My ultimate go-to for any time I crave an authentic pizza paired with a carafe of wine is the enchanting Portal Pizza. Its fairy lit ambiance and quirky posters that adorn the walls are equally as inviting as the pizza, not forgetting the tiramisu as well. Bonus points to Portal Pizza for also providing some of the best gluten-free pizza in Exeter!

If you are bored of the predictability of Exeter high street and fancy shopping small, explore Magdalen Road for much fun and food.