Home Music Live Review: The Umbrellas at Exeter Cavern

Live Review: The Umbrellas at Exeter Cavern

Maya Fernandes, Online Music Editor, reviews the recent gig from San Francisco indie-pop band The Umbrellas at Exeter Cavern.
Image via Imogen Bott

Last week, San Francisco jangle-pop group The Umbrellas performed at Exeter Cavern on the first show of their 2024 UK tour. The 4-piece band were supported by Exeter-based indie-pop band Silk Cuts and newcomers, Pushbike. As someone who has been to their fair share of Cavern Saturdays but never attended a gig there, I can safely say I have been missing out. The atmosphere of the evening was relaxed, all three bands played excellent sets and there was a great sense of camaraderie among the audience. I have definitely found some new music to add to my summer soundtrack.

The Umbrellas made their debut on the indie pop scene in 2019 with the release of the self-recorded “Maritime E.P”, followed by a breakout self-titled album. This year, they take their follow-up record Fairweather Friend on the road, with the opening performance of their UK tour in Exeter’s venue, Cavern. The band comprises of singer and guitarist Matt Ferrera, bassist Nick Oka, drummer Keith Frerichs and lead vocalist Morgan Stanley. Their latest album develops the romantic sounds of the band’s previous endeavour, with melodious harmonies, angsty lyricism and a distinctly upbeat sound. Influenced by the likes of The Byrds and Comet Gain, the record has a timeless feel with songs like “Say What You Mean” and “Echoes” providing the perfect easy listening experience. Whilst their music is heavily evocative of San Francisco, I would say that Fairweather Friend just as readily applies as a nostalgic spring-summer album.

Their latest album develops the romantic sounds of the band’s previous endeavour, with melodious harmonies, angsty lyricism and a distinctly upbeat sound.

All in all, I would recommend checking out the live music performances at Cavern, and would highly encourage you to check out The Umbrellas’ Fairweather Friend on Spotify as the days begin to grow warmer.