Exeter, Devon UK • Jul 27, 2024 • VOL XII

Home Features Eiffel Tower’s Six-Day Strike

Eiffel Tower’s Six-Day Strike

Social Media Executive, Charlotte Randall, inspects the causes behind Eiffel Tower's Six-Day Strike.
Image: Alf van Beem of Eiffel Tower via Wikimedia Commons

Paris, the romantic city of lights, has recently seen its iconic symbol, the Eiffel Tower, grapple with a crisis that not only disrupted its operations but also raised concerns about its long-term preservation. After a six-day strike by workers who voiced grievances about the structure’s maintenance and business model, the famed landmark has once again welcomed visitors  with promises of revitalization and enhanced oversight. The strike was originally planned to take place across five days, but the trade union, Confédération Générale du Travail (CGT) announced that there was a vote to extend the strike to Saturday after rejecting the Eiffel Tower’s operator, Société d’Exploitation de la Tour Eiffel (SETE)’s initial proposal.

Preserving the Eiffel Tower is preserving the image of France itself.

Pierre-Antoine Gatier

Beyond its architectural significance, the Eiffel Tower embodies France’s cultural heritage and serves as a global symbol of romance and elegance. Its preservation is not merely a matter of structural integrity but a testament to France’s commitment to history and beauty. As Pierre-Antoine Gatier, the architect overseeing the tower’s repaint, aptly puts it, preserving the Eiffel Tower is preserving the image of France itself. The involvement of the Eiffel Tower in the 2024 Olympics hosted in Paris highlights its significance. Beyond being anticipated to be a heavily visited attraction during the games, the tower will be immortalized in Olympic history through the incorporation of its metal in the medals. However, this development brings forth additional concerns about the safety and long-term preservation of the monument. It also sheds light on the potential exploitation of the monument and raises questions about the government’s readiness to compromise its longevity.

The recent reopening of the Eiffel Tower marks a pivotal moment in its storied history, signalling a renewed dedication to its upkeep and longevity. While challenges persist, the collective effort to safeguard this iconic landmark reflects a shared appreciation for its enduring legacy. As visitors once again flock to admire its majesty, they do so with the assurance that the Eiffel Tower stands not only as a symbol of Paris but as a testament to human ingenuity and perseverance. Tourists from around the globe voiced their disappointment as they arrived, hoping for a once-in-a-lifetime experience they ultimately missed out on. The impact of this on tourism remains to be assessed, but given the iconic stature of the monument in such a historic locale, it’s probable that interest in visiting the city will persist.

Despite assurances from experts about the tower’s safety, reports of rust and peeling paint have fuelled public anxiety. Workers describe a pressing need for extensive repairs, highlighting the challenge of maintaining a structure originally intended to last only two decades. The current repainting campaign, delayed by the pandemic and lead contamination, underscores the urgency of addressing maintenance issues before they escalate further.

Gustave Eiffel, the visionary behind the tower, recommended repainting every seven years to preserve its splendour. Yet as Denis Vavassori, a member of the workers’ union, notes, neglect has allowed deterioration to progress, demanding more extensive and costly interventions. This revelation isn’t new, as a leaked report from 2022 uncovered the urgent necessity for foundational repairs to the tower. These repairs were overshadowed by a focus on cosmetic enhancements ahead of the Olympics – and that was two years ago. Workers have long voiced concerns, even likening Gustave Eiffel’s reaction to “having a heart attack” if he were alive to witness the state of disrepair of Paris’ Iron Lady. Despite these challenges, experts assure that the tower’s core structure remains robust, emphasizing the superficial nature of identified rust patches.

Workers have long voiced concerns, even likening Gustave Eiffel’s reaction to “having a heart attack” if he were alive to witness the state of disrepair of Paris’ Iron Lady.

Criticism was directed not only at the tower’s operator, SETE, but also at Paris city hall, accused of prioritizing short-term gains over the tower’s long-term preservation. Plans to increase the city’s share of ticket revenues raised concerns about funding for essential repairs, prompting calls for government intervention. France’s Minister of Culture, Rachida Dati, even suggested classifying the tower as a historical monument, potentially unlocking state funding for necessary works.

The closure, prompted by demands for structural changes and better upkeep, shed light on the challenges faced by the 135-year-old tower, standing tall at 330 meters. Workers, unions, and management negotiated terms ensuring regular monitoring of the tower’s business model and substantial investments in maintenance and renovation, totalling €380 million over the next decade. This agreement not only addresses immediate concerns but also lays a foundation for sustainable management, crucial for an enduring symbol of French pride.

The question remains: will there be another strike preceding the 2024 Paris Olympics? Only time will provide the answer, but the negotiations and renewed commitment to maintenance offer hope for preventing any future disruptions.