Exeter, Devon UK • Jul 27, 2024 • VOL XII

Home Arts & Lit Spring Romance Read Recommendation: Ashley Herring Blake’s ‘Bright Falls’

Spring Romance Read Recommendation: Ashley Herring Blake’s ‘Bright Falls’

Kayleigh Swart discusses why Ashley Herring Blake's 'Bright Falls' book series makes perfect springtime reading.
Image: Adriana Serra via Flickr

Spring time is almost here and it’s time to put away all those long heavy winter books and move onto something lighter and fun! Romance is my favourite genre to read as soon as the sun comes out. It’s chill and cute and reminds you of reading a book on the beach. While spring isn’t quite summer it is a good shift into the sunny days that are to come. One of my all-time favourite romance series is the ‘Bright Falls’ romance series by Ashley Herring Blake, which consists of three books all about the love lives of three best friends. Also did I mention that all the books are about sapphic relationships? 

consist[ing] of three books all about the love lives of three best friends.

The first book, Delilah Green Doesn’t Care, follows the relationship of Delilah and Claire as they navigate going from acquaintances to friends with benefits to lovers. The second book – Astrid Parker Doesn’t Fail – follows Astrid after she calls off her engagement, and then meets Jordan and falls into a tension-filled enemies to lover’s arc. Finally, the series ends with Iris Kelly Doesn’t Date, which follows Iris who has sworn off dating yet she ends up in a fake dating situation with actor Stevie. 

All three books are filled with romance, tension, laughter and queer characters. This series is the perfect spring read as it is light and fun and the perfect way to get you into the summer spirit. They feature everyone’s favourite romance tropes while offering a new perspective on them; these books are both comforting and fresh, and the perfect way to start your spring.