Home Freshers Is Fresher’s Week changing?

Is Fresher’s Week changing?

Online International Editor, Magdalena Kanecka, explores the shifting purpose of Freshers' Week.
Image: Pixabay

Welcome – or welcome back – to Exeter! If this is your first time reading the Exeposé headlines, I’m sure you know what awaits you – the beloved Freshers’ Week! As a third-year student, by the time this is published, I will be heading into my third freshers’ week. Each year I’ve have had very different experiences. 

In my first year, as you can assume and as you will likely experience yourself, I did way more going out and drinking, mainly to socialise and get to know the people around me – my flatmates, the people on my course, and people from the societies I joined – it was a good way (at the time) to enjoy my new sense of freedom while being away from home. 

It was a good way (at the time) to enjoy my new sense of freedom while being away from home. 

Yet, at the same time, during my first-ever Freshers’ Week, I also experienced far more anxiety than ever due to the new environment and the significant life changes. I found this extremely difficult to manage, and anxiety and poor mental and physical health were a very persistent theme throughout my first year of university. If you are ever feeling the same way, know there is help, and you should never suffer in silence. See Amberly’s article for more tips regarding mental health during your first few weeks of university!

Contrastingly, in my second year, my freshers’ week was very society-centred; pretty much my entire first month or so of the term was dedicated to going back to my favourite sport (cheerleading), catching up with friends and going back to what I learned and discovered in my previous year in Exeter. There was way less going out; in fact, during my second year, I went out a great total of three times! I quickly realised it’s not for me, and that I enjoy a night in far more.

In fact, that’s one of my most significant pieces of advice for freshers AND returners: don’t overdo it!

In terms of my third year, my hopes for this year are to cheer again, but since many of the society taster sessions (especially sports-related ones) run more than once, I plan to take it easier than I did last year to avoid burnout. In fact, that’s one of my most significant pieces of advice for freshers AND returners: don’t overdo it! This applies to drinking, going out, or doing too much of everything (even socialising – we all need a break occasionally).

Freshers’ Week really is what you make of it – so, dearest new Exeter students, good luck, and I hope you have fun regardless of your plans for the week!