Home Music Battle of the Bands – Queen of the 70s

Battle of the Bands – Queen of the 70s

Wilfred Smith argues (fairly cynically) for why Queen are a greater band than The Beatles, looking at contemporary competition, monthly listeners and memorable stage presence
From left to right – Freddie Mercury, John Deacon, Brian May and Roger Taylor (Christopher Hopper via Wikimedia Commons)

While this task is like comparing an orange to an apple, I will play devil’s advocate and not hold back.

Let me start by saying that ‘I Want to Break Free’ of the myth that The Beatles are untouchable and cannot be critiqued or outperformed. I know that some of you before reading this scoffed at the title, as you sip your lukewarm cinnamon latte and browse Exeposé.

While I am not going to deny that that the Liverpool lads are historically famous and renowned as legends of music, if we were to break their qualities down there is a strong argument that in many areas, Queen excels as the more versatile of the two.

While The Beatles had no competition in the genre, Queen was ‘Under Pressure’ in a congested market.

‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ is the greatest song ever made, yet was at first refused to be aired on ‘Radio (Ga Ga)’ due to its length. The Beatles can write a song about a ‘Yellow Submarine’ and everyone goes crazy.

At the time of writing, Queen’s music is also more listened to in 2024 – 41st in the world on Spotify (53M monthly listeners) – with the Beatles at 101 (36M).

“Oh, but The Beatles are older and so less popular within music today blah blah blah”. Go whine on reddit Beatles’ fans, this isn’t the 60s anymore.

Finally, Queen had Freddie Mercury. In talent he is stronger than every Beatle. You could say Lennon was better lyrically but can John match him elsewhere?

Vocally, Freddie was truly untouchable, and I hope readers put their bias aside to acknowledge this. As a performer, Freddie excelled in stage presence, charisma, and talent.

Yes, Beatles weren’t that terrible live, but can you really compare their screaming with the greatness of Live Aid 1985?

(If you want to check out the other side to this battle, search ‘Why The Beatles are better than Queen’ by Jakub Ciesielski).