Home Music Battle of the Bands – Starrs of the 70s

Battle of the Bands – Starrs of the 70s

Jakub Ciesielski fights for the Beatles to beat Queen in this round of Battle of the Bands, drawing upon their remarkable discography, timeless legacy and stellar cultural impact
From left to right – John Lennon, Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney and George Harrison (Wikimedia Commons)

In a battle of the bands, The Beatles aren’t just a contestant, but a defining force that has directly and altered the playing field. They have maintained a timeless consistency and an influence that is matched by no one, not even Queen.

Formed in Liverpool, 1960, ‘the Fab Four’ of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, have consistently dominated the music and cultural scene during their 10 year existence as a band and even done well in their solo careers.

Their monumental discography speaks for itself. From the chirpiness of ‘Please Please Me,’ to the psychedelia of ‘Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band,’ and the sheer legendary nature of ‘Abbey Road,’ The Beatles have remained extraordinarily consistent in their music.

They set new precedents and pushed musical boundaries by involving different genres, experimenting with different recording techniques and writing unforgettable lyrics.

Even recently, The Beatles proved themselves once again by releasing their last song ‘Now and Then’ in 2023, which became the band’s 18th number one hit, being hailed by some critics as a masterpiece.

Each album not only represents a key moment in their artistic growth, but it also reflects and encouraged the 1960s cultural and societal shifts. They documented the vibrant spirit of the 60s era’s experimentation, social upheaval and shifting values towards greater freedom and self expression.

They have characterised and influenced the course of music history in a profound way, and are among the most influential individuals of the 20th century.

Their impact continues to resonate and in 2027, there will be a release of four individual Beatles biopic films dedicated to each member of the band.

The Beatles served as an inspiration for many artists. Even Freddie Mercury expressed total admiration for John Lennon’s work in The Beatles.

They are a band whose merits are unmatched, and a band who has altered music forever.

(To check out the opposite side to this battle, search for ‘Why Queen are better than The Beatles’ by Wilfred Smith).