Home News Former Exeter Student becomes new Home Secretary

Former Exeter Student becomes new Home Secretary

Former Economics and Politics student, Sajid Javid, was appointed as the new Home Secretary on the 30thApril , following Amber Rudd’s resignation amid the Windrush scandal. Javid started the foundations of his political career at Exeter, where he was a member of the Conservative Society and was also elected as the First Year Representative to the Guild of Students Council.

Previously in his political career, Javid was appointed the Business Secretary following the 2015 election and then the Communities secretary since 2016, overseeing the Governments response to the Grenfell tower disaster. Sajid Javid has expressed that there will be an overhaul at the Home Office under his tenureship, as he seeks to ditch the “hostile environment” for illegal migrants that was fostered under Theresa May.

The first Home Secretary to be of an ethnic minority  and Muslim background, Javid is the son of immigrants, his father Adbul came to Britain from Pakistan with just one pound in his pocket. The new Home Secretary  has insisted that the Windrush scandal has evoked a personal feeling as he has expressed, “like the Caribbean Windush generation my parents came to this country from the Commonwealth in the 1960s.”