Home Lifestyle Excursions from Exeter: Topsham

Excursions from Exeter: Topsham

If you’re experiencing post-reading week blues, and struggling to get back into early mornings and lectures every day, then I recommend a weekend trip to the pretty little town of Topsham. It is around a 20 minute direct train journey from either Exeter St David’s or Exeter Central station, and for a return of £3.60 it makes for an inexpensive day out. The train line runs on the Avocet Line, down the side of the River Exe Estuary, so the views from the train will give you a feeling of serenity and will make you feel like you have escaped the uni bubble! It is also accessible by car, and there is a car park in the town centre.

Topsham is a cute, historic town full of maritime history, wine merchants, lovely cafés, restaurants and authentic shops. Definitely go for a stroll along the Exe Estuary, which can give you some spectacular views and a bit of peace and quiet. After your walk, if you fancy some lunch or a bite to eat, I really recommend the restaurant The Galley. It specializes in seafood, and is so tasty. They do a set lunch menu offering up to three courses for a lower price, so you should make the most of the special deal and have some lunch in this delightful restaurant – perfect for a ‘date day out’, or a meal with friends or family. If you’re after something smaller, then head to the café, Route 2, for a coffee and a piece of cake. A cosy hot chocolate is just what we need in this harsh winter climate.

As well as the abundance of gorgeous cafés and restaurants, there are many antique shops to look in, and you can do a bit of shopping. Topsham Quay Antiques Centre offers a wide range of antiques, which are beautifully authentic and original. This shop has actually featured on the BBC Bargain Hunt and Antiques Road Trip, so go and have a look at them because they are truly spectacular. And with Christmas right around the corner, you may be inspired to pick up a few presents for relatives. So wrap up warm, and head out for a fun and interesting day out in Topsham!