Home News University and RAMM seal future partnership

University and RAMM seal future partnership

Exeter’s flagship museum and the University have signed a new agreement to share expertise and research.

Photo © Derek Harper

The Royal Albert Memorial Museum, located on Queen Street, has collections ranging from zoology, antiquities and ethnography, to decorative and fine arts. The newly adopted Memorandum of Understanding expands on previous collaborations between the museum and University, which have included work experience and volunteering opportunities for students, organising exhibitions, and jointly supervising PhDs on digital heritage.

We are very proud that Exeter has such a fantastic museum and art gallery, and it is a privilege to work with its fantastic staff and collections.

Professor Janice Kay

Professor Janice Kay, University of Exeter Provost and Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor, said “We are very proud that Exeter has such a fantastic museum and art gallery, and it is a privilege to work with its fantastic staff and collections.”

The RAMM’s collections include specimens of outstanding international historical and cultural significance, predominantly of natural history. Since the 1950s, owing to legislation safeguarding protected species and preventing the importing of illicit antiquities, the museum now focuses on its fine art stock and protecting archaeological finds from Exeter and the wider Devon area.

Museum staff and University academics are currently collaborating to examine archaeological artefacts to provide greater insight on Exeter’s growth from Roman fortress to Tudor city. Internationally, they are also working together to create an app to act as a guide for Renaissance cities like Hamburg, Valencia and Trento.