Home Science Storytelling in Science

Storytelling in Science

Tom Dormer, Online Science Editor, talks to Louise Vennells, the Senior Press Officer for College of Medicine and Health, about the importance of good science communication.
Louise Vennells, the Senior Press Officer for College of Medicine and Health.

Storytelling in Science

Why is science writing needed and what is it useful for?

“Science clearly influences so much about how we live our lives and everything from the healthcare that we receive, to the food that we eat.

However, science can be perceived as ‘behind closed doors’, particularly when you think about the journal publication system which is so inaccessible to so many people. 

Science writing and science communication seeks to bridge that gap by translating scientific issues into things that everyday people can understand and access.”

Why do you think people are apprehensive to write about science?

“It’s a pretty intimidating prospect and perhaps the assumption is that you are putting yourself across as an expert if you are writing about science. 

That’s not the case. It’s more like ghost writing – it’s a very collaborative process with the expert. 

Some really amazing people in their field are not that brilliant at communicating, and they recognise they need help with it – or at least many of them do! 

“Science can be perceived as ‘behind closed doors’ “

There are also amazing scientists who are amazing at communicating, but even they are probably incredibly busy and may not have time to shout about their work in the best possible way.”

How can people get involved in science communication and what can people do to build confidence?

“When people come to me with that question, we direct them towards Exeposé as I think it’s a great place to get some science writing experience. 
My top tip is to read science writing – BBC science or health pages, IFL Science, Vice – there’s loads of science content out there. Look at what they write, the language they use and how it’s structured. 

We also have opportunities for people to work with us. In fact we’re about to launch a network of students with an interest in science communication and some of our scientific programs also now offer some science writing experience.”

How did you become Senior Press and Media Manager? What is it like being a non-scientist in the field?

“I didn’t have a science background, but if you are writing then at some point you will write about science – even if it’s just talking about the weather! When I was a journalist, I wrote about fishing and Bovine T.B, for example, so I had enough to draw on for an interview.

“…if you are writing then at some point you will write about science – even if it’s just talking about the weather!”

For the first few months of this role it was a steep learning curve and I felt a bit of a charlatan. 

But I soon learned that what’s really important is to understand some of the principles about what makes good science, to recognise the right questions to ask and to be able explain technicalities. In some ways, being a non-scientist is actually beneficial to that last aspect, as it’s easy to forget what is jargon when you’re entrenched in it! Helpful networks are STEMPRA  and PSCI-COM.” 

What makes good storytelling in science and how can you tell a story about something non-fiction?

“Science has some of the coolest stories! In health, a lot of the time we are talking about how it impacts people.
A really good example of that is when Andrew Hattersley discovered that for half of children with Neonatal Diabetes, it is better treated by a tablet than it is by multiple insulin injections. There was a nurse, Emma, and her 5-year-old son Jack had Neonatal Diabetes meaning Emma and her husband were always on high alert. He switched to this tablet treatment and in 6 weeks he ran out of school and said the first words that he’d ever said in his life. You can’t beat that strength of storytelling.”

Do you have any advice for people of any background when they’re writing about science?

“Focus on impact. Who should care and why? What is new about it and lead in on that. But be careful not to overclaim, I can’t overstate that. 

Really think about how to explain complexities – it’s not a case of dumbing down. Explain or find alternatives for jargon. Think about metaphors that can help paint a picture. 

Finally, I would treat it as a collaborative process, so seek sign off from the academic particularly around the facts.”

If you want to find out more about joining a science writing network, email Ciaran Jones at c.jones14@exeter.ac.uk.

This article originally appeared in print on 14th October 2019.