Home News Two-thirds of Brits in favour of “whatever is necessary” for their desired Brexit outcome

Two-thirds of Brits in favour of “whatever is necessary” for their desired Brexit outcome

New research from the University of Exeter has revealed that two-thirds of people are in favour of MPs doing “whatever is necessary” to achieve their desired Brexit outcome, even if this means breaking constitutional conventions.

The research surveyed 2,692 people in Britain, weighted to be demographically representative, between 5 and 9 September.

Jason Reifler, Professor of Political Science, who led the research, said: “Supporters of both sides appear ready for leaders in Parliament to bend — or possibly even break — the rules and conventions of the unwritten constitution to get the Brexit outcome they want.

“Once broken, norms and conventions are difficult to repair. These changes could have far more reaching consequences for Britain and British democracy than just what happens with Brexit.”

Two-thirds of people are in favour of MPs doing “whatever is necessary” to achieve their desired Brexit outcome

As explained by additional researcher Professor Thomas J. Scotto of the University of Strathclyde, this research works to statistically validate the effects of the October 31 Brexit deadline on both sides, with both being seemingly ready “to break the impasse by stepping outside the norms and conventions of the unwritten British constitution.”

Brexit continues to act as a polarizing and destabilizing pressure on the very essence of British democracy.

Editor: Pete Syme