Home LifestyleCulture “Stay sexy and don’t get murdered”

“Stay sexy and don’t get murdered”

“Stay sexy and don’t get murdered”

Sophie Goschen sings the praises of her favourite podcast, My Favourite Murder

“Stay sexy and don’t get murdered” is the tag-line of the hit true crime podcast My Favourite Murder, and just one of the reasons you should listen to it right now. MFM is hosted by comic personalities Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark, whose whip-smart wit, love of the absurd and old-fashioned feminist rage will have you cackling away whilst walking to work or cleaning your home.

Over the course of a weekly hour-long episode, Karen and Georgia take it in turns to discuss one extraordinary story each. They cover everything from the Golden State Killer to Lululemon cults, the anti-Nazi assassinations of Freddie and Truus Oversteegen to Ted Bundy. It should be noted that this is not a podcast that laughs at or trivialises the things it covers, which are often some of the most abhorrent crimes on earth. Instead, it provides a space to talk about the worst kinds of things that can happen and acknowledge those anxieties … with perfect deadpan delivery.

I’ve found that some people my age tend to be excruciatingly open with their issues while simultaneously joking about their own fragility and mental state

Those around me know that I wear my broken heart on my sleeve. In the age of the internet and instant communication, vulnerability is a vastly changed quality than it was a few years ago. I’ve found that some people my age tend to be excruciatingly open with their issues while simultaneously joking about their own fragility and mental state. It’s a jarring and often awkward effect, but for those people making the jokes, it’s a means of survival. The hosts of My Favourite Murder offer something similar. Both Karen and Georgia are extremely candid about their mental health issues, their previous drug abuse and enrolment in therapy, and the podcast is littered with hilariously blunt self-help tips, anecdotes, and advice. Each episode ends with a segment entitled “F*cking Hooray”, in which both hosts list something that made them happy that week. My Favourite Murder mixes the truly awful with the truly wonderful, and I strongly encourage any and everyone to give it a listen.