Home NewsLocal News Taxi driver attacked after Coronavirus taunts

Taxi driver attacked after Coronavirus taunts

Image: Lewis Clarke

A racially-motivated attack has left a 35 year old taxi driver needing stitches.

On Sunday 16 February, an Asian taxi driver picked up four people—two men and two women—outside John Lewis. According to a Devon and Cornwall police spokesperson, once they were all in the taxi one of the male passengers started probing the driver about where he was from and asking him whether he had coronavirus. He then proceeded to repeatedly slap the driver on the head as he drove.

One of the male passengers started probing the driver about where he was from and asking him whether he had coronavirus

The group were dropped off on New North Road near Exeter Prison, however, before they left, the driver was kicked by the first male passenger and head-butted by the second man, causing a gash to his eyebrow. His car keys and £120 in cash were also stolen.

The attack happened at approximately 12.30am and the group’s desired destination was Crediton. One of the passengers is described as a 6ft white male in his 20s with short hair and a South African accent. He wore a black jacket, blue jeans and trainers. Another passenger was a stocky, white male, possibly aged between 35 and 40 years old, and had a black coat on at the time.

The attackers have yet to be found. Police are calling for anyone who may have witnessed the incident to come forward with information. Dial 101 and quote CR/031859/20 if you know anything.  

Editor: Pete Syme