Home LifestyleFood The Rise of the Cookalong

The Rise of the Cookalong

The Rise of the Cookalong

Maddy Mckenna introduces us to the world of the online cookalong

Technology now plays an even bigger role in day to day life than we ever thought possible. With the horrific COVID-19 pandemic leaving a third of the global population in lockdown, we are relying more and more everyday on that trusty WiFi connection to work, study, get in a daily(ish) workout and yes, for cooking inspiration. In this ‘new normal’ that we are calling life, Instagram, and other social media sites, have become every celebrity’s new best friend. From livestreaming chats with friends to live concerts, the cookalongs are just the icing on the cake, sometimes literally.  

What is a cookalong you might ask? Well, it is essentially when a celebrity uploads videos of themselves cooking to social media, so the audience can ‘cookalong’ at home. From bougie takes on classic cocktails to making pizza crust 3 ways, these cookalongs will certainly improve those lacklustre student cooking skills, while perhaps giving an insight into their life in lockdown. If you want to take your culinary prowess past the realm of banana bread, here are my 3 favourite celebrities that will teach you how to cook in real time.

Photo by Eaters Collective on Unsplash

Florence Pugh

Although you may recognise her as the star of Little Women and the upcoming Black Widow film, Florence has been turning her attention to the small screen, that is, Instagram stories. From squash soup to even the excitement of browning bread, follow Florence for some healthy but exciting recipes, all from her extremely rustic but Instagrammable kitchen, because, of course.

Ina Garten

Ina Garten is a celebrity and chef all rolled into one, and as such she has to make the cut. While her Insta profile is more food porn than cookalong, she includes so many recipes that have easily-accessible ingredients that she had to be included. Plus, we all know that Cosmopolitan tutorial she made. We can hope for many more like that in the future!

Bon Appétit

While technically not a celebrity, the creators working for this food publication have become famous in the culinary world of the internet. With popular Instagram and YouTube accounts, there is no lack of inspiration here. Be it livestreaming how to jazz up a classic G&T with Andy and Brad, or a cookalong of turning leftover rice into a whole new dish with Molly, Bon Appétit has it covered. It even features guest chefs, so, really, this is 5 recommendations for the price of 1.

So, let these celebrities be your inspiration for good and join in with the latest cookalong trend. No excuses, get out your phone and start cooking! Who knows, you may even enjoy it.

Cover Photo by Maarten van den Heuvel on Unsplash