Home NewsCOVID-19 University of Exeter scraps No Detriment Policy

University of Exeter scraps No Detriment Policy

The University of Exeter has announced the No Detriment Policy will not be applied to assessments completed in the 20/21 academic year.

Image source: Green Chameleon via @Unsplash

In an email to all students, the University states that they are not using the policy for the following reasons: they have ‘prepared extensively for blended learning’ to ensure students have a ‘rich learning experience both online and on campus’, there is an ‘enhanced digital presence’ and a range of wellbeing support available.  

The No Detriment Policy was introduced and applied to exams and assessments submitted in the 19/20 academic year. This was due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic and the UK’s first national lockdown as well as the rapid switch to online learning and exams. With a benchmark in place, students could not be penalised for their performance.

A University spokesperson said, “The University has carried out extensive planning and preparations ahead of this academic year to ensure our teaching and learning provision, as well as examination and assessment systems, are both suitable and robust to meet the demands of the current context, and to enable us to fairly and accurately assess students’ academic attainment.

“We have, however, also extended the enhanced mitigation policy to cover the remainder of this academic year. This includes an option to apply to defer sitting exams, and/or to extend coursework deadlines, under the appropriate circumstances.”

The University has carried out extensive planning and preparations ahead of this academic year to ensure our teaching and learning provision are both suitable and robust to meet the demands of the current context

University spokesperson

Penny Dinh, VP Education, said, “The Students’ Guild are absolutely committed to ensuring students’ outcomes are not negatively impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic. I’ve been working closely with the University, especially over the summer in the lead up to the start of the year, to ensure that the teaching and learning provisions in place allow students to excel and get the best results possible. I believe mitigation policies should be robust enough to ensure that support will be given where students face disruptions.

“If current policy and provision is clearly negatively impacting the ability of students to reach their full potential and get the best results possible, then I will be ready to work with the University to introduce an institution-wide policy.

“It’s so important that students tell us how things are going for them so we can understand what the problems are if they’re being affected. You can do this through our feedback form, your Reps or myself. The more we’re aware of issues students are facing, the more we can do to improve things.”