Home NewsLocal News Exeter Students fined £200 each for Saturday night Lafrowda party

Exeter Students fined £200 each for Saturday night Lafrowda party

Three students have been fined £200 each after Devon and Cornwall Police were called to end a party in Lafrowda on Saturday 9 January.

Image source: Wikimedia Commons

Despite lockdown restrictions banning household mixing, the on-campus accommodation was full of first year students partying. A video circulating on Instagram showed dozens of students huddled together in densely filled rooms.

The police issued the fines after reviewing body cam footage. These fines were among the 38 fixed penalties for Covid breaches issued between 5 and 10 January.

According to a Registrar email sent to all students on Monday, the University has launched an investigation into the incident and will be taking disciplinary action. The email called the party, “incredibly disappointing and distressing” and went on to say, “I ask everyone reading this to reflect on this incident and to consider the words of the Chief Medical Officer for England, who this week described how the NHS is facing “the most dangerous time anyone can remember” and reminded us that we must all adhere to the lockdown rules to protect the NHS and save lives. 

“Any repeat of this sort of incident will risk further transmission of COVID-19 and will further delay any return to normal life and normal operations for our community and those around us.”