Home News Exeter alumni Dr Alex George appointed government mental health ambassador

Exeter alumni Dr Alex George appointed government mental health ambassador

Image: Andrew Parsons / No 10 Downing Street

Exeter alumni and A&E doctor, Alex George, has been appointed the UK’s mental health ambassador in an effort to improve young people’s education and access to mental health services.

The 30-year-old ex-Love Islander has recently taken to his social media platforms to stress the importance of protecting people’s mental health, particularly since losing his younger brother, Llŷr, to suicide back in 2020. Dr Alex regularly posts videos and messages to his 1.8 million Instagram followers suggesting techniques to look after their mental wellbeing and reminding them that “There is always hope for a better day.”

For the current as well as future generations, we must do everything in our power to bring meaningful change

Dr Alex George

As mental health ambassador, Dr Alex George has stressed his desire to push for measures within schools that do not only result in improved mental health provisions for young people, but also put mental health education on a par with subjects such as English and Maths. A crucial upcoming component of his role will involve advising the government as young people return to school after this lockdown period.

Dr Alex graduated from the University of Exeter Medical School in 2015.

Following his conversation with Boris Johnson earlier this month, Dr Alex George said, “For the current as well as future generations, we must do everything in our power to bring meaningful change.”

Editor: Ella Shadwell