Exeter family thank emergency services for saving children from house fire
Members of Dane Castle Fire Station’s Green Watch have been awarded a commemorative plaque for their “heroic efforts” during a house fire early this year.
The “tragic incident” occurred on 21 February, when a fire broke out in a family home on Clayton Road. Despite first responder’s best efforts, they were unable to save Daniel Rudge, 29, Kaylie Rudge, 28, and their two children, Iviee-May Rudge, aged seven, and Lillie-Rose Rudge, aged four.
I can never be grateful enough to them. We’ve got two lovely kids that wouldn’t be here otherwise.
The family’s two surviving children were rushed to Bristol Children’s Hospital for treatment.
The plaque was awarded by Daniel’s parents, Carol and Mick Rudge, and the Demon’s Motorcycle Club, of which Daniel was a member. Mick stated, “I can never be grateful enough to them” as “we’ve got two lovely kids that wouldn’t be here otherwise”.
Green watch member, Jamie White, said “it’s not something that happens very often, so it’s nice to be recognised. We are very thankful.”
Exeter City Council stated that the tragedy would “impact the whole of the city”, with respects being paid to the family as flags across Exeter were lowered to half-mast following the tragedy.
Editor: Orla Mackinnon