Home NewsLocal News Conservative representative for Exeter announces revocation of support for the party

Conservative representative for Exeter announces revocation of support for the party

A prominent Exeter Conservative has publicly renounced his association with the Tories, claiming its “dog whistle” driven “damaging” cabinet and “incompetent” leadership are sending the country down a destructive pathway.

Image: Wikimedia Commons

Mr Harvey, the previous 18-year-long Exeter city centre manager, was the former Conservative city council representative Alphington, earning the nickname, ‘Mr-Exeter’ following years of city service.

Currently, he is in charge of business development at 360 Children’s Residential Services and Bleep 360 Care.

In a series of tweets, Mr Harvey focused his criticism on Truss’ cabinet, describing them as an assembly of “out-of-touch right-wing zealots”.

He tweeted, “Not only is the current PM and leader of the @Conservatives Party truly awful, with her incompetent leadership doing untold damage to country and party, the whole Cabinet seem hell-bent on fundamentally damaging much that I cherish.”

This is yet another brutal blow to Truss’ new government, following the headline-filling dismissal of Kwasi Kwarteng, the botched Chancellor of the Exchequer and the widely condemned ‘Mini-budget’.

Mr Harvey stated, “Against this backdrop – and after much soul-searching – I cannot renew my Conservative Party membership”.