Home NewsLocal News Exeter students forced to live in Holiday Inn Express after private accommodation delays

Exeter students forced to live in Holiday Inn Express after private accommodation delays

Approximately 130 students allocated rooms in block A and B of Hill View wouldn't be able to move into the new accommodation till October 22nd.

Image: Openverse/Alison Day

At the start of term, a large number of students were put up in hotels due to delays in the completion of their accommodation. Approximately 130 students allocated rooms in block A and B of Hill View wouldn’t be able to move into the new accommodation till October 22nd.

Hill View Place on Glenthorne Road was due to be completed on October 7th but students were informed a week before their move in date by Prestige Student Living, that it would be delayed. Students were offered £35 a week for travel expenses, £200 for the extra one-week delay, and a continued £35 a day for meals.

Prestige Living Student Living spokesperson, said: “When advised Hill View Place would be subject to delay, we immediately contacted all students to offer them temporary accommodation in Exeter and provided them with daily meal vouchers and further compensation for each week of delay. Our team has been based at a local hotel throughout the week, supporting the residents due to stay at Hill View Place by organising welcome meetings and social events.

Unfortunately, when we were advised by the landlord that the building would be subject to a further one-week delay, we were unable to extend our group booking at the hotel for a small number of students due to it being school holidays next week. We took the decision, in the interest of the students’ wellbeing, to relocate them as a group to another hotel in the city. We were advised by the landlord earlier this week that all students will be able to move into Hill View Place from 27th October. We remain in constant communication with all students affected.”

We immediately contacted all students to offer them temporary accommodation in Exeter

Prestige Living, Student Living Spokesperson

A University of Exeter spokesperson, said: “We are extremely sorry and concerned that some students have faced these issues at the start of term. The University has been in regular contact with the external management company to offer support, including temporary use of our accommodation.”