Home NewsLocal News The Music Depot to take over the former Exonian bar

The Music Depot to take over the former Exonian bar

Sarah Gould reports on the new music store opening in place of the former Exonian bar.
The Exonian via Google Maps

The popular Exonian Bar has now closed and the new owners of the bar will turn the space into “a brand new music store”, labelling it ‘The Music Depot’. The store is set to sell instruments such as guitars and pianos, as well as playing essentials such as sheet music.

Delivering the announcement of their plans on social media, the team revealed that they’re “built around the same team as the former Musicroom store on Sidwell Street”.

On behalf of the Music Depot, Simon Tremlett comments for Devon Live “[w]e are hugely excited by the relaunch and the new venue. The area feels vibrant and edgy which inspires musicians. This exciting space will become a creative hub with a commercial bent strongly supported by Yamaha and other major brands.”

Tremlett goes on to state “We hope to work with the other music retailers in the Fore Street area to build a destination if you like, a ‘Music Quarter’, that could draw customers from a really wide catchment area. Outside of Central London music is no longer well served by modern retail and we hope to help address this.”

The store is set to sell instruments such as guitars and pianos, as well as playing essentials such as sheet music

The ‘Music Room’ was a beloved music shop which closed its doors for good in April of this year, leaving musicians stumped for a place to explore their passion. Music stores across the country have been facing competition in recent years from online suppliers, with even Amazon being a place where you can easily purchase an instrument without the hassle of in-person browsing. Nevertheless, many customers prefer the freedom of thoroughly inspecting an item of interest in front of them. Overall, this news of a developing “Music Quarter” on Fore Street is a move back to old-fashioned shopping, being able to physically see instruments to buy. The ‘Music Depot’ will open soon.