Home Lifestyle In the Spotlight: The Turks Head

In the Spotlight: The Turks Head

Sophie Bishop dives into the history and charm of The Turks Head, a famous pub on the High Street.
Image: Zoe Sperry

The Turks Head is an independent inn and microbrewery located in the heart of Exeter’s city centre with an atmosphere that aims to “appeal to all”. In my opinion, it is a staple location within Exeter and a must visit. The pub has a rustic interior, created through industrial style, low hanging lights and mismatched furniture, which tells a story of its past whilst creating a snug and homely atmosphere. It is particularly lovely during the winter months when it provides a warm escape from the harsh weather outside. It also has a hidden roof terrace which acts as a sunspot to enjoy a refreshing drink above the sweltering streets in summer. 

This welcoming atmosphere stretches across several different floors and levels, allowing for you to find a cosy corner, away from the hustle and bustle of the streets, to tuck yourself into and study, or enjoy a drink with friends. Further, this allows for a diverse selection of environments all under one roof; for example, the lower level may be dedicated to a quiz night whilst the bar remains clear for locals to pop in for a quiet drink, and live rugby being shown on the screens upstairs for all the sports lovers. It therefore truly is a “pub for everyone” (Luke Cegliese, general manager of The Turks Head).

It is particularly lovely during the winter months when it provides a warm escape from the harsh weather outside

The pub, although recently restored, still tells the tales of the past 700 years. The interior, upon taking a closer look, offers a token to its history associated with Charles Dickens as seen through the gold cursive over the entry to the lower level, reading ‘Dickens’ corner’. This references the pub’s greatest claim to fame – that it was a favoured spot for Charles Dickens to sit and write his novels. The greatest testament to Dickens that the pub continues is through its flagship beer which is named ‘Fat Boy’, in reference to one of Dickens’ characters who was inspired by a man he met in the pub. Perhaps this is the true testament to show how it is, and has always been, a great environment for getting some work done alongside socialising with friends!

If that historical tale isn’t enough to draw you in, maybe their collection of ales will. The Turks Head proudly brews its own beer and is therefore extremely popular amongst ale lovers, with people traveling far and wide to taste its wide range of specialities. This tasting ideal is made even easier by their advertisement to ‘taste before you buy’ and their recommendation of an ale flight, which is essentially a platter of beers, as you get a 1/3 taster of 3 different pints delivered to your table. Ideal for those who may feel overwhelmed choosing from their extensive selection. 

The Turks Head proudly brews its own beer and is therefore extremely popular amongst ale lovers, with people traveling far and wide to taste its wide range of specialities

The pub also caters for the overwhelming student scene within Exeter by offering a 10% student discount on all food and drinks. Further, it accepts bookings for events such as society socials which can be enquired about through the website. 

Finally, I was informed by Luke Cegliese that as the pub is in talks with a local Exeter business, you must keep your eyes peeled for a new food menu hopefully coming sometime around November.

With all of this in mind, I don’t think anyone can deny that it is a crucial location to visit within Exeter for ale lovers, history fanatics, students, sports fans, and all those in between!