Home Lifestyle Must Visit Museums

Must Visit Museums

Kayleigh Swart lists her top three favorite museums, perfect to visit on a day out.
Image: harry_nl via flickr

Museums are everywhere; every city has one, and so do many towns. The great thing about museums is that a large majority of them are free. Considering many things are not free anymore, the fact that you can still visit museums without breaking the bank means it’s a great way to spend a day. There are so many museums out there for you to choose from, the first thing I’d say is what interests you? Because there is no point in spending time looking at things that you couldn’t care less about. That being said I’m going to give you my top three museums that I think are must see’s! 

Considering many things are not free anymore, the fact that you can still visit museums without breaking the bank means it’s a great way to spend a day.

First on the list is Tate Britain. This museum is home to hundreds of paintings and art and the large majority of the collections are free to visit. It holds much older art than the museum’s sister Tate Modern, which I much prefer. They have many famous paintings such as ‘Ophelia’ by John Everett Millais, and the building itself is beautiful. If you are in London, I would recommend this museum to everyone, especially art lovers. 

My second recommendation is going to be controversial, are you ready? The British Museum. Look hear me out here, I don’t agree with the ethics of the museum itself. I think it’s very problematic that we’re basically hoarding all this stuff instead of giving it back to the countries it belongs to. However, the museum has one of the biggest and most incredible collection of artifacts you could imagine. It’s free entry so you don’t have to worry about contributing to the museum itself. So, I would really recommend checking it out while it still exists to the extent it does today. 

Finally, if you’re looking for somewhere to visit a little closer to home, can I suggest the Royal Albert Museum right here in Exeter. Again, it’s free entry and considering how small the museum is, they have an incredible collection.

So that’s my top three. I think museums are a great cheap way to spend the day or afternoon and a great way to learn new things.