Home News Movember hits Exeter: Brave the Shave explained

Movember hits Exeter: Brave the Shave explained

Anna Kane, Online News Editor, speaks to Movember Exeter ambassadors about the movement and 'Brave the Shave'.
Image: via Movember Exeter ambassadors

November is an import month in the university calendar as students embrace ‘Movember’, taking on various challenges to raise money for men’s health.

The concept of Movember was born in Australia in 2003, when a group of 30 men decided to grow out moustaches for a month in November to fundraise for men’s health. The campaign has grown into a global movement, focusing on three aspects of men’s health in particular: mental health and suicide prevention, prostate cancer, and testicular cancer.

The campaign has grown into a global movement, focusing on three aspects of men’s health in particular: mental health and suicide prevention, prostate cancer, and testicular cancer

As well as several sport societies promoting Movember, Exeter uni has its own student ambassadors of the movement.

“As this year’s student ambassadors for Movember at Exeter University, we proudly champion men’s health initiatives through our involvement in the Brave the Shave campaign. Movember is a global movement where individuals unite to grow moustaches, not just as a style statement, but as a powerful symbol for positive change”, student ambassador Rhianna Sookhy explains.

Image: via Movember Exeter ambassadors

During the first week of Movember, the ambassadors ran an event called “Brave the Shave” in the Forum. Several students were seen getting their heads shaved to show their support of the movement.

“During Movember, men start with a clean shave and then attempt to grow moustaches, seeking sponsorships for their efforts. Additionally, many participants take it a step further by shaving their heads to garner donations for the cause. We facilitate this by hosting Brave the Shave where barbers from Nova Rose barbers volunteer their time to come onto the Forum for the day to shave heads in turn for donations to Movember”, Rhianna says.    

One group of guys got their whole house to participate in Brave the Shave to show their motivation and commitment to the cause, with some livestreaming the shave.

Image: via Movember Exeter ambassadors

When asked why he was participating, Dylan Power replied it was “to go that extra step in attempt to raise money in support of the Movember charity”. Ross Vincent added “it’s a good talking point for mental health, suicide prevention and testicular cancer. Also wanted to see if I suited Lucas Dorrell’s haircut”. Josh Pullen explained his reasoning: “I shaved my head to raise awareness for men’s mental health. Many men suppress their feelings, and this shouldn’t be the case”.

It’s a good talking point for mental health, suicide prevention and testicular cancer. Also wanted to see if I suited Lucas Dorrell’s haircut

Ross Vincent

To see the other events the Movember Exeter ambassadors are hosting this month, you can visit their Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/movemberexeter/